Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing on Microsoft Surface Laptop

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
f1yankees

Installing on Microsoft Surface Laptop

#1 Post by f1yankees »

Hey all, I am trying to install Debian 12 on a Microsoft Surface Laptop 4. I was previously able to install Ubuntu 22.04 but would prefer to run Debian if I can get it to work.

I tried the netinst image on a USB and it freezes at the language selection screen (i.e. frozen and not able to drop to terminal).

I tried the Live USB with Calamares installer thanks to a suggestion on Linux Surface. It does complete the install, but the computer will not boot. When I boot, I quickly get a splash screen at the bios with "Welcome to Grub!" and then it immediately reboots. This loop continues indefinitely. Secure boot is off in the bios.

Any ideas? I would guess it might be driver related since Ubuntu installs and boots, but both Debian images I tried say they have the non-free firmware included. I do not even know how to look at a log file since I can't get it to boot to terminal.

Appreciate any ideas.

ruwolf

Re: Installing on Microsoft Surface Laptop

#2 Post by ruwolf »

Do you want it without non-free firmware?
I am pretty sure, that Ubuntu have installed it, too.

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

I have a Surface Pro 3 on which I have installed Debian (Bookworm), I do use the Linux-surface kernel though as I find it is better suited (IME) as everything just works, although as always ymmv.

f1yankees

#4 Post by f1yankees »

Thanks for your replies.

The issue seemed to be related to Secure Core. I had only disabled Secure Boot. I disabled both Secure Boot and Secure Core, and GRUB will now bring up a prompt to decrypt my drive. Debian 12 then boots fine.

I installed the surface kernel as well, and it seems like most things are supported on my Surface Laptop 5.