Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Keyboard not working after install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
henrykislinger

Keyboard not working after install

#1 Post by henrykislinger »

I have installed Debian 12.5.0 -amd64. On a Gigabyte H370M D3h, with 2TB NVM SSD, and 32GB ram, intel core i53.7 Gig. After booting up the message is: please unlock disk nvme0n1p5_crypt: At this point the only key recognized is the enter key. I have tried another keyboard both USB wired with same results. I have rebooted multiple times with same result. The last I booted up in restore mode and the screen shows the keyboard and USB port recognized as HP basic, however the only key recognized is the enter key. I have passcode/password set in install, but cannot enter due to keyboard not working.

Linuxgaming1824

Re: Keyboard not working after install

#2 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

I had that problem with qubes before, where I tried to do an encrypted installation, but now I can't remember how I fixed it...
I think I remember having to use a different keyboard...
At this point the only key recognized is the enter key.
Well, if it recognizes the enter key, that is a good sign, because that means we have more information about your problem,
than we would if it didn't recognize the enter key.

How did you configure your installation?

Did it work previously, or did this occur after installation?

(what kind of keyboards are these?)
Last edited by Linuxgaming1824 on 2024-04-16 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

henrykislinger

#3 Post by henrykislinger »

As usual error is user fault or rookie mistake (your choice). I did not know that the characters were hidden as the cursor was not moving as I was typing, or any characters displayed while typing the passphrase. Also I had apparently had a num lock or cap lock on when typing the passphrase. After all that trying again with my passphrase and keyboard configured properly (without cap lock, num lock, etc.) I was able to sign in and proceed to set up my server.

Linuxgaming1824

#4 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

Yea you really gotta watch out for those invisible passwords on linux huh