Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Bookworm XFCE - Missing dependencies to make Terminal

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Augie77

[Solved] Bookworm XFCE - Missing dependencies to make Terminal

#1 Post by Augie77 »

I am attempting to use the latest Terminal from XFCE land and have an dependency issue I am unsure of how to remedy. The terminal tar is xfce4-terminal-1.1.3.tar.bz2 and thus far the following missing dependencies have been installed/update as requested due to version issues.

intltool-debian ,, this was first but version still too low so I then installed intltool which was acceptable.

pkg-config was next.

My next attempt at ./configure produced the following.

Code: Select all

checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking if the X11 windowing system is enabled... dependencies missing: x11 >= 1.6.7, gdk-x11-3.0 >= 3.22.0
checking if the Wayland windowing system is enabled... dependencies missing: gdk-wayland-3.0 >= 3.22.0
configure: error: Either both X11 and Wayland support was disabled, or required dependencies are missing. One of the two must be enabled.
I read a bit on X11 and xorg and am not certain what to upgrade as I have not successfully found the above mentioned packages. I am also using an onboard Intel GPU so I don't think Wayland can be enabled. However, it looks like I need either the dependencies met, or Wayland enabled. I am going for the dependency path.

I would appreciate some guidance on this, my first time to attempt building something so I am a bit in the fog.

Thanks
Last edited by Augie77 on 2024-04-19 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

Linuxgaming1824

Re: Bookworm XFCE - Missing dependencies to make Terminal

#2 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

How are you attempting to install this?

Are there instructions for installing it included in the tar, or from whereever you got the source?

Typically when building from source you are going to want to identify the instructions from the
original source for building the software.

...nice thing about debian is, it's so common, that there are tons of guides online for getting things to work, specifically
with debian

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

Augie77 wrote: 2024-04-18 14:47 I am attempting to use the latest Terminal from XFCE
If you want build latest xfce4-terminal, you must install dependencies for building this app. The easiest way for doing that is install with one command:

sudo apt build-dep xfce4-terminal
And then follow the instructions provided by source code.

But as I understand it, you are new to it, so the logical question arises - why do you need it? What's wrong with the version listed in the official Debian package repository?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Augie77

#4 Post by Augie77 »

Thank you for the command and advice. My reason is mostly for learning, but partly also that some previous bugs were fixed, though I am uncertain that any of those fixes were of use to me. Primarily I wanted to build something that I will use, and the XFCE terminal is one of those items.

Augie77

#5 Post by Augie77 »

None1975 wrote: 2024-04-18 15:44 .
If you want build latest xfce4-terminal, you must install dependencies for building this app. The easiest way for doing that is install with one command:

sudo apt build-dep xfce4-terminal
That worked great, many thanks. I have successfully completed my first 'build' in Linux and the Terminal is working great.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

Augie77 wrote: 2024-04-19 20:15
That worked great, many thanks. I have successfully completed my first 'build' in Linux and the Terminal is working great.
Hello.

That's really cool to hear.

Please mark your topic as solved. Thank you.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github