Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Expanding root partition, editing partitions will change UUID?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kegon

Expanding root partition, editing partitions will change UUID?

#1 Post by kegon »

Hi,

I installed Bookworm on a SATA SSD with the following partitions:
  • (EFI system)
  • /
  • /home
  • /data
I made the root partition 32GB thinking it would be enough as I have a separate home partition. This machine is used as a desktop and occasional server.

Root is now 95% full, I don't know where the space has all gone but /usr is 16GB. I'm assuming I could probably trim some log and cache files but I will probably hit this problem again sooner or later. As there is lots of space on /data I want to non-destructively resize the root partition.

My plan is to boot to another install on another drive then use fdisk to delete all partitions, resize root to be larger, create new /home and /data partitions, run resize2fs on root. Assuming this works I can restore home and data.

My question is how to get home mounted in a way that allows me to boot into the newly resized root and login?

If before I boot the new system I format the new home and data, restore home, edit /etc/fstab to modify the entry for home; but where can I get the new UUID from or will it not change?

Thanks in advance

ruwolf

Re: Expanding root partition, editing partitions will change UUID?

#2 Post by ruwolf »

You can shrink (and move) /home and|or /data, you need not delete and recreate them.

pbear

#3 Post by pbear »

Let's start with the easy question. A good way to get UUIDs is lsblk -f (there are others, including sudo blkid).
Second, if you're going to do radical surgery on the partition table, I strongly recommend GParted over fdisk. Available in repo.
Third, you would be better served figuring out what's blowing up the system partition. What say sudo du -xhd1 / | sort -hr and sudo du -xhd1 /usr | sort -hr?
Fourth, if you can't figure out what's blowing up the system partition, I recommend you reinstall.

kegon

#4 Post by kegon »

Thanks for the help. It turns out the culprits were: various libs, CUDA & CUDA SDK, NVidia nsight, cache and fonts.
I'm going to use gparted in a live distro to shrink and move.