Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Off-Topic] The impossible Debians 12 and 11!!!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
rrf2024

[Off-Topic] The impossible Debians 12 and 11!!!

#1 Post by rrf2024 »

I use linux since 2008 Ubuntu + KDE (called "KUbuntu" back then). I've been using Ubuntu since then, until 2020, the doomed-command "autoremove" simply purged my entire system. I had to install all back, and I don't know why, The up-to-date Ubuntu had no TTY, and I didn't have time to study why and how to enabled it. (I was really in a middle of an emergency; stress level: unimaginable) So I gave Debian a try. I installed the Debian 10. All seems fine.

Last Sunday, due to a blackout in a rainy day, Debian won't login again. (something about ".xauthority", and I tried all what forums have to say about it, but nothing worked.) So I got an old computer, to help me with backus, and tried to revive it with Debian. I got the F'Debian12 iso for 32bits pc, and I spent (no exageration) an entire night, for nothing; a complete nightmare, beginning with the impossibility of setting up DHCP. After some attemps I decided to set it to ignore; to proceed without network. Later on, it fails when setting up the mirror. I tried again, and proceeded without mirror. So I passed this stage-level of this hellish game called "a life depending of computers". Then, the next issue, that I insisted several times, is that it simply UNMOUNTS the USB Flash drive around 80% of the installation!!!! having me starting it all over. When it completed, it fails in writing with kernel. (I tried all four options, including the "none" as a cry for help.).

At 5:33AM, hearing the birds waking up outside, staring at the splashscreen of Debian 12 installation, for the soulsuckingth time; feeling like puking out of anguish just by looking at Debian logo, I realized that "The Debian 12 experience" led me to suicidal thoughts far more of what dealing with women does.

I gave it a break, and with a little cooler mind, I thought in trying downgrading to Debian11, as in forums everybody is pointing out Debian 12 installations bugs. I ran smoothly except the DHCP during the installation (Which triggered back the trauma, as it is the very first issue to popup). Now, Debian11 is installed, with minimal set, and neither Jesus nor Lucifer can make this F'Network to connect!!!

For decades, I found solutions in forums by reading other people's issues and I never needed to interact; so I don't have account in any of those forums, but I had... I F'HAD TO!!! Stop my life, to register here in Debian forums to express my frustration, hate and disgust about Debian 11 and 12, before I give it a last try of downgrading to Debian 10. (which served me well for 4 years now).

I can't believe people have the audacity of turning a version obsolete when the next one is simply not working! Just think of these names: "buster", "bullseye" and "bookwork"! How could someone think a positive thing could come out of these two last ones?

I'm aware of conduct here, because it is explicit said in the terms of use of this community; so, yes, I won't be surprised if I get banned. But try, at least, to keep this post of mine for the record! To help developers to keep this in mind when considering "releasing a new version".

I'll give Debian 10 a last try, before switching back to Ubuntu or Gentoo or Slackware or whatever else, before blowing off my head!!!

Debian 11 network configuration and Debian 12 instalation are simply a bad joke! One of the many that compose the big bad joke "Life on Earth"!

Linuxgaming1824

Re: [Off-Topic] The impossible Debians 12 and 11!!!

#2 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

I think bullseye is the most stable version right now of debian, and everything should work pretty easily for you out of the box, networkmanager configures your internet for you... what's wrong with your network configuration

Buster might be good, but all it's software is too old right now. The last version of bullseye was just released this year and it's my favorite yet... if you're not using a live iso to do your installs you're not doing it right...

Anything I want from bookworm, I just add it's sources into sources.list temporarily and pull it into bullseye. Easy as can be. XFCE is the best desktop too, if you're not using xfce you don't know what you're doing. it does everything perfectly.

mrmazda

#3 Post by mrmazda »

Is there something special about your environment that compels you to use DHCP? If not, don't try. Use the little NET installer and set up a static IP. With the NET installer, installation can't really start until you have the network working.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

I'm still using Debian 10 Buster. It works and I see no reason to upgrade. I have some older software that won't run on newer versions.

@Linuxgaming1824 "if you're not using a live iso to do your installs you're not doing it right."

I do installs using a tiny CD or USB and then add what I need. I see no need to use a live iso.

@rrf2024 Antix Linux is designed with old computers in mind.

pbear

#5 Post by pbear »

rrf2024 wrote: 2024-04-19 23:04 ... before switching back to Ubuntu
You're leaving out part of the story. Ubuntu hasn't supported 32-bit for years.

Anyhoo, sad but true. Every computer gets old and eventually needs to be replaced. Expecting Linux developers to do whatever is necessary to keep yours running isn't realistic.

Linuxgaming1824

#6 Post by Linuxgaming1824 »

Don't listen to the people that just *erase* what other people say either...

Get yourself an xfce live cd, if you want the easiest experience choose bookworm
if you want to do a little more work, but get the best possible desktop linux can offer right now,
choose bullseye.

I literally just made a step by step guide for installing/configuring bullseye and getting all the latest software you really want for it.
viewtopic.php?t=158899

The live cd is absolutely necessary in 2024, that's your whole operating system on a usb, and you don't even need to install anything, it will work forever, can do recovery operations, backup stuff, anything at all. That's your perfect emergency tool kit all in one place, you can use it forever.

https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdima ... so-hybrid/

That's where you get the live cd for the latest bullseye with xfce, the best desktop environment period. There is no other. I tried every single linux distro for years, and once you have a good debian xfce live cd you have no good reason to try a new distro at that point.

Your network should be auto configured when you load the live cd, or you gotta click the net icon if you have wifi to connect to wifi, otherwise u need to find the driver for your network card or wifi card...

All you have to do is don't mess up your kernel installation or the graphics installation, and you will have a perfect desktop. Use the 6.1 kernel from bullseye, get your graphics driver... get your network driver if you need it. And, you're done.

pbear

#7 Post by pbear »

Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-20 02:45 ... xfce, the best desktop environment period.
As my mother used to say, there's a reason they make more than one flavor of ice cream. And adding "period" or "end of discussion" to an opinion doesn't make it a fact.

rrf2024

#8 Post by rrf2024 »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-20 04:12
Linuxgaming1824 wrote: 2024-04-20 02:45 ... xfce, the best desktop environment period.
As my mother used to say, there's a reason they make more than one flavor of ice cream. And adding "period" or "end of discussion" to an opinion doesn't make it a fact.
I agree with thy mother, but I also don't disregard the back story behind someone's "period". Often they have a strong reason.

I questioned hard the reason of why am I living, last night, just by trying to get Debian 12 running. But people will not get that when I simply say "Debian 10 is better than 12, *period*!"

rrf2024

#9 Post by rrf2024 »

pbear wrote: 2024-04-20 02:24
rrf2024 wrote: 2024-04-19 23:04 ... before switching back to Ubuntu
You're leaving out part of the story. Ubuntu hasn't supported 32-bit for years.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

panpan

#10 Post by panpan »

By giving the inxi report to the forum you will get better advices!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by None1975 »

I installed the Debian 10. All seems fine.
Debian 10 is EOL.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

None1975 wrote: 2024-04-22 13:19
I installed the Debian 10. All seems fine.
Debian 10 is EOL.
It is still supported by the LTS team until June 30, so from a few weeks it will receive no updates and the repo will be moved to archive.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#13 Post by None1975 »

sunrat wrote: 2024-04-22 13:31
It is still supported by the LTS team until June 30, so from a few weeks it will receive no updates and the repo will be moved to archive.
Thank you for the info. But i think this is limited and In addition, it is paid support.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by sunrat »

None1975 wrote: 2024-04-22 13:33
sunrat wrote: 2024-04-22 13:31
Thank you for the info. But i think this is limited and In addition, it is paid support.
You are confusing LTS, which is free, with Extended LTS which is commercial - https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Extended
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#15 Post by None1975 »

sunrat wrote: 2024-04-22 13:44 You are confusing LTS, which is free, with Extended LTS which is commercial - https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Extended
Thank a lot. Now I understand.