Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] 20 years of linux - now I've been drawn back to windows

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Uptorn

Re: [Software] 20 years of linux - now I've been drawn back to windows

#21 Post by Uptorn »

@Augie77

For a while I used to manually toggle about:config switches to try to disable all the junk, but that quickly grew tiring. You will probably find that there are just too many things to be able to reliably track and configure. And that is why user.js templates, as recommended by sunrat are a suitable solution.

Another issue is that Firefox doesn't always reliably obey the config settings. It appears some domains are hardcoded for FF to phone home on. I only know this because I run OpenSnitch. So, in my instance, Arkenfox silenced 95% of unsolicited connections, and OpenSnitch intercepted the rest.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#22 Post by Hallvor »

This whole issue seems to be caused by the sub-optimal hardware you chose yourself. Use whatever you like best, and good luck.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

urdrwho10

#23 Post by urdrwho10 »

Hopefully someone can help you because I can't offer a solution. I only brought it up because so many times, so often, there are the people who say --- oh windows tracks you, etc. It is their number one on the list of reasons to hate an OS. Meanwhile, they are bring watched by programs that the Linux community did love at one time and maybe still do love it. Over the years FF has fallen from the good graces. To me if it worries me about being tracked is on top of the list, I probably wouldn't be using the internet.

In the Linux community it is in vogue to hate upon MS but little is said about FF. Why is that? I think it is an oral tradition to try and proof one's dislike of MS, heck I've been there and done that one. The reason I started this post is that I have found that perhaps my belief in oral tradition wasn't sitting on reasonable, solid ground.
Augie77 wrote: 2024-04-24 11:30 @urdrwho10
@Uptorn

Interesting discussion about Firefox and telemetry, particularly as Debian Bookworm has Firefox ESR. I took a look in about:config at the telemetry entries and was surprised to see how many telemetry entries there are. Any suggestions on what to disable in about:config to reduce this 'talking back' to FF and others?

pbear

#24 Post by pbear »

I thought you had changed your mind. If you're still thinking about going back to Windows, bear mind Win10 goes end-of-life in Oct'25.

Uptorn

#25 Post by Uptorn »

Meanwhile, they are bring watched by programs that the Linux community did love at one time and maybe still do love it.
Aside from Firefox, what is an example of one such program?

urdrwho10

#26 Post by urdrwho10 »

Another example would be Opera but I wonder who uses Opera anymore. They got a lot of bad press years ago for such stuff "As noted above, in different contexts we may share or make available data (including personal data) with other members of the Opera Group, and sometimes with third parties"

Now for the Debian netinstall called popularity-contest. I guess the difference here is you opt-in on Debian as opposed to MS having to opt-out.

In the link you'll see it at 12:19. I suggest you just cruise to that time because this guy is terribly hard to listen to and very robotic. I had to watch because from memory I couldn't remember what I was thinking about in a netinstall. But it says "a script will run once a week sending statistics." Would a good fan be allowing scripts from an outside source? Maybe? The guy says this just helps Debian developers...... So a newbie would think -- oh, ok this just helps developers and they would opt-in but to hard core Linux security people they would probably say -- no. I guess this is compared to the MS - "Tailored experiences section, you decide whether Microsoft can use your diagnostic data for suggestions and recommendations."

To me telemetry is not what I would hang my hat on or even consider when seeing if an OS works well. More serious thinks like - hey my touch screen doesn't work, my mic doesn't work, why is my fan running more often, why no good business software for this OS, etc.

My point was that everybody pricks at the MS privacy scab but that same scab also exists outside of MS. I think the MS telemetry should be off by default and like Debian, you can choose to have it if you want it.

https://www.learnlinux.tv/debian-12-net ... lkthrough/
Uptorn wrote: 2024-04-25 02:29
Meanwhile, they are bring watched by programs that the Linux community did love at one time and maybe still do love it.
Aside from Firefox, what is an example of one such program?

urdrwho10

#27 Post by urdrwho10 »

Someday I'll need to shut down that Win7 box that runs my office. This HP all in one computer that I am using isn't eligible to update to Win 11.
I think I've decided to make windows my DD but I am prone to changing my mind. When it comes down to making everything run, I'm sorry, these computers are matched up to run on Windows. I keep getting reasons that are like little band aids but no hard core - well Linux has the best and most up to date drivers for your computer, has the best software to keep you finances, best software for your taxes. I can jump on the band wagon and agree that when it comes to security Linux is probably it. But hey - I run Win7 on the one box that is the mind of the office.

There is a change coming and Windows and Linux as separate rivals will most likely be like the horse and buggy.

"Linus is quoted as saying: “The whole anti-Microsoft thing was sometimes funny as a joke, but not really. Today, they’re actually much friendlier. I talk to Microsoft engineers at various conferences, and I feel like, yes, they have changed, and the engineers are happy.“

“And they’re like really happy working on Linux. So I completely dismissed all the anti-Microsoft stuff.”

And he has a point.

Despite the snipes, suspicious, and self-confident whispers of “just you wait…” Microsoft (under Satya Nadella, anyhow) has yet to show any ill-will or nefarious aims through its various open source initiatives and outreach.

From putting the Linux kernel at the heart of Windows 10 as part of WSL 2, to buying Github (where a lot of open source development takes place), to building its own open source apps, porting them to Linux, and sponsoring the Linux foundation… Microsoft is yet to put so much as toe nail, much less an entire foot, wrong.

“I don’t think [it’s true that Microsoft has bad intentions]. I mean, there will be tension. But that’s true with any company that comes into Linux; they have their own objectives. And they want to do things their way because they have a reason for it,” he’s reported as saying."

pbear wrote: 2024-04-25 01:21 I thought you had changed your mind. If you're still thinking about going back to Windows, bear mind Win10 goes end-of-life in Oct'25.

bin

#28 Post by bin »

urdrwho10 wrote: 2024-04-27 21:27 From putting the Linux kernel at the heart of Windows 10 as part of WSL 2, to buying Github (where a lot of open source development takes place), to building its own open source apps, porting them to Linux, and sponsoring the Linux foundation… Microsoft is yet to put so much as toe nail, much less an entire foot, wrong.
FACT :- Microsoft is a business - it cares about one thing and one thing only and that is Microsoft. They've learned from their previous extend-embrace-eliminate ventures and are just playing the longer game. Watch out for sudden arrival of patent notices on key bits of code.....

Can you really trust a global megacorp that does this? https://www.osnews.com/story/139462/mic ... rocessing/

I'd sooner start looking at BSD as an OS!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Post by sunrat »

Tame Windows 10 - W10Privacy
Change dozens of pesky telemetry and phone-home features. Remove unwanted stuff.
I remove pretty much everything possible including Windows Update. My Win10 runs quite well although I rarely boot it these days.
I believe it is useful for Win11 as well, although from the changelog it appears to still be under development.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

urdrwho10

#30 Post by urdrwho10 »

You and I seem to agree on this and that Win 10 does run well. Yep, I turn off Windows Update. Why do I read Linux people (not on this forum) saying you can't turn off windows update? Am I missing something?

Up until recently Win 10 was rarely booted. I'm going back into Deb 12 later today to see if I can tweak a few things.

There was a time my cars were form over function. Good looking car out ranked how well the car felt to ride in. Such as low profile tires over normal tires. Then age hits, some cancer hits, your body hurts more than before and now that car with low profile tires has to go. I want function (comfort) over form (good looking tire profile and cornering). I've fallen into the Windows trap where there are a ka-zillion applications that just work, the screen looks great, every driver is available. I guess I got tired of trouble shooting Linux stuff when it didn't work. Listening to a Linux fan this morning on Youtube complain about his Bluetooth ear bud problems and how Pipewire always changes profiles when re-connecting. I too have problems every time I re-connect my ear buds. I always get them to work but would the average person, someone that doesn't even know the word sudo, would they even attempt or be able. Nope. Windows -- those buds work every time. I really, REALLY thought that by now Linux would have over taken Windows but now I realize, after all these years, it isn't going to happen for a long time, maybe never. Hm? Pipewire? Doesn't deb 12 use a different one or is pipewire the newest. why should I have to remember?

Linus hits on some of my thoughts about applications................

https://youtu.be/Pzl1B7nB9Kc?si=ZVOSdtdMPFl4Kh_P
sunrat wrote: 2024-04-28 07:11 Tame Windows 10 - W10Privacy
Change dozens of pesky telemetry and phone-home features. Remove unwanted stuff.
I remove pretty much everything possible including Windows Update. My Win10 runs quite well although I rarely boot it these days.
I believe it is useful for Win11 as well, although from the changelog it appears to still be under development.

urdrwho10

#31 Post by urdrwho10 »

bin wrote: 2024-04-28 06:01
urdrwho10 wrote: 2024-04-27 21:27 From putting the Linux kernel at the heart of Windows 10 as part of WSL 2, to buying Github (where a lot of open source development takes place), to building its own open source apps, porting them to Linux, and sponsoring the Linux foundation… Microsoft is yet to put so much as toe nail, much less an entire foot, wrong.
FACT :- Microsoft is a business - it cares about one thing and one thing only and that is Microsoft. They've learned from their previous extend-embrace-eliminate ventures and are just playing the longer game. Watch out for sudden arrival of patent notices on key bits of code.....

Can you really trust a global megacorp that does this? https://www.osnews.com/story/139462/mic ... rocessing/

I'd sooner start looking at BSD as an OS!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#32 Post by sunrat »

Considering this is a discussion topic and not a Debian support issue, moved to Off-topic.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!