Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Pulseaudio components

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
admiincomp

[Solved] Pulseaudio components

#1 Post by admiincomp »

Should I have any components running for pulseaudio if I am using Pipewire only?

When I perform dpkg -l|grep pulseaudio I see the following

ii gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64 1.22.0-5+deb12u1 amd64 GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio (transitional package)
rc pulseaudio 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1 amd64 PulseAudio sound server
ii pulseaudio-utils 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1 amd64 Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server
ii xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:amd64 0.4.5-1 amd64 Xfce4 panel plugin to control pulseaudio
Last edited by admiincomp on 2024-05-01 04:15, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Pulseaudio components

#2 Post by CwF »

I have gone back and forth a few time between Pulse and Pipewire and at this point have judged pipewire to offer inferior sound under the Xfce DE. ymmv

In those test, synaptic was clear in identifying packages relating to the two choices, now qualifying as auto removable.

Pattern;
+/-pulseaudio
+/-pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
-/+libfreeaptx0
-/+liblc3-0
-/+libldacbt-abr2
-/+libldacbt-enc2
-/+libpipewire-0.3-modules
-/+libspa-0.2-bluetooth
-/+libwireplumber-0.4-0
-/+pipewire
-/+pipewire-alsa
-/+pipewire-audio
-/+pipewire-bin
-/+pipewire-pulse
-/+wireplumber

admiincomp

#3 Post by admiincomp »

Your stating that pipewire is inferior to pulse audio? Debian 12 uses pipewire by default isn't that correct ?

I wan to know if all pulse audio components can be removed and Pipewire would function in all aspects

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-04-24 02:03 Your stating that pipewire is inferior to pulse audio?
stating, no; reporting my experience.
admiincomp wrote: 2024-04-24 02:03 Debian 12 uses pipewire by default isn't that correct ?
No, this is DE dependent. If default gnome, then yes.
admiincomp wrote: 2024-04-24 02:03 I wan to know if all pulse audio components can be removed and Pipewire would function in all aspects
and I said...
CwF wrote: 2024-04-22 20:30 I have gone back and forth a few time between Pulse and Pipewire
That means, install one, install the other, install the original - back and forth.
So yes. The +/- OR -/+ indicated for each file needed to go back and forth...

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

This is what I get in XFCE with Pipewire:

Code: Select all

$ dpkg -l|grep pulseaudio
ii  gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64                  1.22.10-1                            amd64        GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio (transitional package)
ii  pulseaudio-utils                               16.1+dfsg1-3                         amd64        Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server
ii  xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:amd64                  0.4.8-1+b1                           amd64        Xfce4 panel plugin to control pulseaudio

rc pulseaudio 16.1+dfsg1-2+b1 amd64 PulseAudio sound server
Means you have uninstalled it but still have the configurations files.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/18804/w ... ii-rc-mean

XFCE still uses the pulseaudio panel plugin even for Pipewire, so you need to keep that.

Some pulseaudio-utils still work with Pipewire, others don't. pacmd will get you

No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
whereas pactl (+ valid option such as pactl list) still works.

gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio is a dependency of Kazam for me. There is also a gstreamer1.0-pipewire package (not installed). I presume there is some jiggery-pokery going on here to make sure that packages that depend on PulseAudio packages can still work with Pipewire until they transition to the Pipewire packages. You may also have a package installed that depends on gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio.

In short, no you shouldn't remove anything, except maybe the PulseAudio config files if you are staying with Pipewire.

admiincomp

#6 Post by admiincomp »

I have removed all except xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:amd64 0.4.5-1 amd64 Xfce4 panel plugin to control pulseaudio which I belief is the volume control on XFCE.

Is there a Pipewire control to replace the XFCE

Pipewire is not the default for XFCe debian 12 ?

Augie77

#7 Post by Augie77 »

For better or worse this is what I have in my Xfce. I have read enough about the both that I am confused. I have sound and video that works well, but I have no idea if the audio is what it should be.

dpkg -l|grep pulseaudio
ii  gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64               1.22.0-5+deb12u1                        amd64        GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio (transitional package)
ii  pulseaudio                                  16.1+dfsg1-2+b1                         amd64        PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-utils                            16.1+dfsg1-2+b1                         amd64        Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server
ii  xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:amd64               0.4.5-1                                 amd64        Xfce4 panel plugin to control pulseaudio

dpkg -l|grep pipewire
ii  libpipewire-0.3-0:amd64                     0.3.65-3+deb12u1                        amd64        libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server
ii  libpipewire-0.3-common                      0.3.65-3+deb12u1                        all          libraries for the PipeWire multimedia server - common files
rc  pipewire-bin                                0.3.65-3+deb12u1                        amd64        PipeWire multimedia server - programs
rc  pipewire-pulse                              0.3.65-3+deb12u1                        amd64        PipeWire PulseAudio daemon

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

admiincomp wrote: 2024-04-25 00:29 I have removed all except xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:amd64 0.4.5-1 amd64 Xfce4 panel plugin to control pulseaudio which I belief is the volume control on XFCE.

Is there a Pipewire control to replace the XFCE

Pipewire is not the default for XFCe debian 12 ?
PulseAudio is still the default for XFCE in Bookworm. I'm using Testing and like to try out new things.

pipewire-pulse is a drop-in for PulseAudio, so anything that needs PulseAudio can use it as if it was PulseAudio. There is no reason for XFCE to develop a new plugin, as the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin works exactly as before, despite the name. I suppose something might happen about the name when/if Pipewire becomes the default for XFCE.

admiincomp

#9 Post by admiincomp »

I have had no problems using Pipewire.I will look forward to XFCE update to support Pipewire