Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Spilt screen

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
deflatedrubberduck

Spilt screen

#1 Post by deflatedrubberduck »

Has anyone had this happen to them?

My current PC runs a 27" screen at 1440p but doesn't do this on my other old PC which runs a 22" screen at 1080p screen.

Currently I have Debian 12 but this use to occasionally appear on Debian 11 "Bullseye" as well. I wondering if it's a Radeon graphics problem.

It's easily cured by restarting the system and it's gone, just wondering why it happens intermittently.
Image Bookworm 6.6.13+bpo-amd64 Xfce - Intel i7 11700 - ASRock Z590 Pro 4 - Radeon RX 6700-XT

mrmazda

Re: Spilt screen

#2 Post by mrmazda »

It could be a Radeon hardware problem.

Have you tried curing it simply by logging out and back in, instead of restarting the whole computer?

Have you tried removing the Radeon, cleaning its electrical contacts, and reinstalling?

Have you tried switching from XFCE to some other DE or WM at your login screen?

Have you tried a different display cable or display cable type (e.g. DisplayPort instead of HDMI)?