Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] No graphics after kernel update

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
sawyer22

[Solved] No graphics after kernel update

#1 Post by sawyer22 »

I run Debian stable (with Cinnamon desktop) and just upgraded to kernel 6.6.13 from backports. After a reboot, the system boots, but lightdm doesn't start, so I guess there is a problem with the graphic driver.

I have an Nvidia card and nvidia-driver installed, which runs fine under the standard kernel. Any ideas what might cause trouble with the newer kernel?
Last edited by sawyer22 on 2024-04-24 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

deflatedrubberduck

Re: No grafics after kernel update

#2 Post by deflatedrubberduck »

Sorry I'd never used Nvidia or the drivers when I made the update suggestion to you and to be honest, I'm surprised that's happened.

I take it you've added 'non free' to your /etc/apt/sources.list?
Image Bookworm 6.6.13+bpo-amd64 Xfce - Intel i7 11700 - ASRock Z590 Pro 4 - Radeon RX 6700-XT

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: No graphics after kernel update

#3 Post by Aki »

Hello,
sawyer22 wrote: 2024-04-23 17:21 I run Debian stable (with Cinnamon desktop) and just upgraded to kernel 6.6.13 from backports. After a reboot, the system boots, but lightdm doesn't start, so I guess there is a problem with the graphic driver. I have an Nvidia card and nvidia-driver installed, which runs fine under the standard kernel. Any ideas what might cause trouble with the newer kernel?
You probably need to recompile nvidia kernel modules and therefore you need to install the linux-headers-* packages for the newer kernel from Debian backports repositories.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

sawyer22

Re: No graphics after kernel update

#4 Post by sawyer22 »

You are right, headers were missing. Thanks!