Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Installation faulty on Intel NUC7i7DNK (I7-8650U)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
edoroom

#1 Post by edoroom »

Hi! Hopefully someone can help me as I gave up on google my issue and after 24 hours of watching the screen and trying to solve it I totally gave up ;-(
The system I'm trying to install Debian 12.5 is Intel NUC7i7DNK (I7-8650U), the harddrive is Samsung SSD 970 Pro NVME.
I took debian-12.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso and burned it to usb flash drive using Rufus (DD method as suggested in the guides) the system has Secure Boot+TPM enabled but shouldnt really matter (anyways tried with and without just in case..)

Regular installation will always hang on 83% during the kernel installation (Would be stuck on configure kernel....) or if trying again might be on Configure apparmor,
Using ALT+F4 Would show it's hang and that's why stuck....

Trying expert installation I found out that if during the base system installation on the init selection I would use default "generic" it would reproduce this issue 100%, selecting "target" would not have the issue and installation could continue!
After finish installation and booting the system it seems there is plenty of kernel errors on almost any action I will do, running for example "apt get update" might freeze during loading the repo list, just idle would kernel freeze, apt autoremove would give
kernel null pointer dereference errors, list_del corruption on almost any command I will write and then it would completely hang till reboot, just cant do anything..
For example :
https://prnt.sc/ftdCy-Qsctqs
question is what I'm missing here? as no way a Nuc from 2018 is that broken for linux ;/ specially when I ran previously debian in hyper v on that machine when it had windows 11 installed..

I tried to make installation already around 6 times, only by expert where I can select "target" for the init it would pass but I think doing so is what causing all of that..?
Last edited by edoroom on 2024-04-25 09:22, edited 2 times in total.

mrmazda

Re: Installation faulty on intel nuc

#2 Post by mrmazda »

When you burned the .iso, how did you decide that removing the stick was safe to do, or, did you even remove it at all and just reboot when Rufus claimed it was finished? Just because an app says it finished writing doesn't necessarily mean the system was done copying every sector successfully to the media. If you were in too big a hurry after burning, you may not have a fully burned installation media. Did you do an md5dum or shasum on the burned media before trying to boot it?

edoroom

#3 Post by edoroom »

mrmazda wrote: 2024-04-24 04:15 When you burned the .iso, how did you decide that removing the stick was safe to do, or, did you even remove it at all and just reboot when Rufus claimed it was finished? Just because an app says it finished writing doesn't necessarily mean the system was done copying every sector successfully to the media. If you were in too big a hurry after burning, you may not have a fully burned installation media. Did you do an md5dum or shasum on the burned media before trying to boot it?
Uhmm finished means finished no?
I also used the built-in verfication of media files that the debian installation have and all was pass there 🤔

edoroom

#4 Post by edoroom »

Updating, I guess I was wrong here, it's not installation issue but for sure something with Debian&This model of intel nuc, I tried to boot from the debian live boot (debian-live-12.5.0-amd64-standard.iso) and when trying to start it would crash right away with Null pointer error :
https://prnt.sc/CqbtJiHbWdMM

So I guess this topic wont be really related for installation as it's something else, however still hope someone have anything to suggest as I really wanted to have debian on that system ;-(

Last small update from another test I've made :
Tried booting Debian 11 live (debian-live-11.0.0-amd64-standard+nonfree.iso) still same error would crash straight on launch, next thing I tried is using this live boot usb on my own PC (Ryzen 5800x3d,AMD GPU....) and it worked and launched no errors, which means the crash is something to do with the intel nuc hardware and not the way it was flashed, hopefully someone have any suggestions!
Last edited by edoroom on 2024-04-24 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

edoroom

#5 Post by edoroom »

Okay because every post I make require mod approve I wont spam anymore as I dont want to nudge but well it seems that system somehow solved it self and working, no more kernel errors and the previously installed debian12 now works, I have no clue what happened and I didnt do anything special ;/
So can be closed and thanks for anyone who read.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Aki »

Hello,
edoroom wrote: 2024-04-24 15:38 [..] it seems that system somehow solved it self and working, no more kernel errors and the previously installed debian12 now works, I have no clue what happened and I didnt do anything special ;/ So can be closed and thanks for anyone who read.
I'm glad you sorted it out. :)

Please, mark the discussion as "solved" manually adding the text tag "[Solved]" at the beginning of the subject of the first message. It is also an opportunity to the make the subject more understandable to other forum users and readers, if necessary; i.e. :
Happy Debian !
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀