Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Can not power on after installation

Need help with peripherals or devices?
hungtx

#1 Post by hungtx »

Hi everyone!
I'm a new user getting started in Debian. I have an old Sony Vaio E series laptop that I've erased the current Windows 10 and giving it a new life with Debian 12. I followed along the installation instructions to the last step where it asks me to choose which desktop environment to install. Because I want a server environment, I only checked 3 boxes: web server, ssh server and standard system utilities. After that, I chose Yes to install GRUB as Debian is the only OS on my machine. Then at the last step, I chose 'reboot', unplug my USB and it did reboot into a terminal screen asking for my login information but while I was remembering my login credentials for a few seconds it has turned off and I can't find a way to reboot. I've tried the power button along with other buttons and it does not respond.
Is there anyway I could reboot the machine again so maybe I can try to reinstall Debian with a desktop environment? Please help me because I've searched through the forum and google but couldn't find a working answer for my situation.
Last edited by hungtx on 2024-05-02 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Can not power on after installation

#2 Post by wizard10000 »

This sure sounds like a hardware issue. Are you sure battery is charged and external power supply is working?
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

hungtx

#3 Post by hungtx »

wizard10000 wrote: 2024-04-25 16:37 This sure sounds like a hardware issue. Are you sure battery is charged and external power supply is working?
Yes I'm pretty sure they are working because I get electrical shock when touching the power supply and the machine still runs Windows 10 on battery before I try to install Debian.

pbear

#4 Post by pbear »

FWIW, an internet search for Sony Vaio won't boot turns up a bunch of hits. Several try-this-then-that articles, including a few by Sony itself.

hungtx

#5 Post by hungtx »

UPDATE: Thank you guys so much for the support and suggestions. I've found the root cause of the problem and it was indeed a hardware issue. I've found out that the power socket of the laptop was kinda loose so the power from the charger was leaking and cause electrical shock instead of charging the battery.
SOLUTION: After a bit of aligning the power socket, I got the laptop turn on again and indeed Debian 12 running as smooth as I expected even on my old laptop.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Aki »

I'm glad you sorted it out. :)

Please, mark the discussion as "solved" manually adding the text tag "[Solved]" at the beginning of the subject of the first message (after other tags, if any); i.e. :
Happy Debian !

---
note: moved to hardware sub-forum.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀