Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] uninstall nouveau?

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
rayandrews

[Software] uninstall nouveau?

#1 Post by rayandrews »

Nouveau has always been unstable here, I get about one hang or crash per day. So I finally got the nvidia driver installed and it's rock solid. So, it then occurred to me to uninstall nouveau.

aptitude purge libdrm-nouveau2 xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

... after thinking for a while, it offered to delete half of the stuff on my machine. I hit 'n' very distinctly ... and then it proceeded anyway. ^C wouldn't stop it. It's a good thing I'm well backed up, because it left the machine unbootable. You might think that 'n' would mean 'no' or that ^C would stop the madness. But really guys, why would one even be permitted to trash your system without at least a warning:

WARNING: deleting this package will leave your system unbootable, Proceed? [yn].

And, is it possible to remove the nouveau drivers, or are they as essential as they seem, even with the nvidia driver installed?

@ttila

Re: [Software] uninstall nouveau?

#2 Post by @ttila »

Keep them installed on your system, i use nvidia closed drivers and those packages are installed on my pc too.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Software] uninstall nouveau?

#3 Post by sunrat »

Nouveau is blacklisted automatically when you install nvidia driver. Worth keeping for if/when nvidia fails.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!