Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Recover Software Raid 5 on failed OMV Ugrade

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
marvin11

[Solved] Recover Software Raid 5 on failed OMV Ugrade

#1 Post by marvin11 »

Hello to all
Was running a rudimentary server using OMV5 with a software raid 5 of 3 hardrives. Old desktop that I put together. Messed it up upgrade to OMV6 somehow. As I am trying to learn linux command line and networking/servers, I installed Debian 12 on the machine. I have some understanding from working on various linux distributions on vms. Also set up a Ubuntu Server for learning. The Debian 12 was just setup today as I saw some complicated for me videos on mdadm and the possibility I might be able to save the original data.The installation recognized parts of the raid 5 disks.
lsblk-
sda 230 GB SSD with 3 partitions boot disk
sdb indicating md127
sdc indicating md127
sdd original 3rd disk of raid5 is now showing that it apparently has 3 partitions.
Installation when installing grub indicated that it saw and old Debian 11 system on the machine and it may have been accidentally installed on that 3rd drive sdd....
Quite out of my depth but I am really trying to get the raid up without deleting the non-backed up data. The debian is without desktop. Confused myself with mounting, lvms raids and disaster.
Thank you for any assistance.
Cheers
Last edited by marvin11 on 2024-05-02 02:47, edited 1 time in total.

marvin11

Re: Recover Software Raid 5 on failed OMV Ugrade

#2 Post by marvin11 »

Consider thread closed

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

marvin11 wrote: 2024-04-28 02:45 Consider thread closed
Welcome to the forum!

You can mark the thread as [Solved] yourself by editing the title of your first post, although it would be helpful to mention what you did to resolve the issue or why you no longer require advice.

marvin11

#4 Post by marvin11 »

Figured out how to partition the overwritten drive, format and mount it. Rebuild the drive from the existing raid drives. Mounted the raid array to the filesystem and my data was still there. Copied it to a backup drive.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Solved]Recover Software Raid 5 on failed OMV Ugrade

#5 Post by Aki »

I'm glad you sorted it out. :)
Thanks for reporting back.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀