Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] NVIDIA driver does not recognize my GPU?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
luseho

[Solved] NVIDIA driver does not recognize my GPU?

#1 Post by luseho »

Hi all,
First of all, i have am using the 4050 mobile with architecture amdx64
I started using Debian 12.5 since yesterday, and is has been very fun to use and to learn new stuff. But there is something very frustrating going on.
When I try to install the NVIDIA driver, I do the following:

Code: Select all

$ sudo su
# apt install nvidia-detect
# nvidia-detect
Checking card:  NVIDIA Corporation AD107M [GeForce RTX 4050 Max-Q / Mobile] (rev a1)
Your card is supported by the default drivers.
It is recommended to install the
    nvidia-driver
package.

# apt install nvidia-driver
after this, I restart the laptop. The application is there in activities, and when i open it, it just shows the following:
Screenshot from 2024-04-27 19-08-18.png
Screenshot from 2024-04-27 19-08-18.png (8.4 KiB) Viewed 152 times
I have no idea why my GPU is not in there! I am aware of all the possible ways to install the driver (for example, the wiki and with disabling nouveau and stuff like that) but nothing has been working so far!
Somewhere on the internet, i think a video or something, there was a user talking about that he fixed it by going back to windows (where my gpu could be detected) and that he changed the gpu settings back from eco mode to normal mode, then changed it back to Debian.
So I desperately tried this method, but it did not work for me.

I can't find any other way to fix this problem. It says the following when i use nvidia-smi:

Code: Select all

~$ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.
Bit this is weird, because i have the nvidia driver installed, so i guess that it is just not running then?

It would be nice to get some help!

-Luc
Last edited by luseho on 2024-04-27 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

@ttila

Re: [Software] NVIDIA driver does not recognize my GPU?

#2 Post by @ttila »

I think you are using the Nvidia drivers 525.XX but your card is supported since the 535.XX version. So you need newer drivers.

luseho

Re: [Software] NVIDIA driver does not recognize my GPU?

#3 Post by luseho »

Thank you so much for your response! This was indeed part of the problem, it makes me feel stupid lol. I also had secure boot still enabled, which i had to disable almost no guides online said that I had to disable this (i hate HP for making everything so difficult, I had to question my own sanity before knowing that I had to set a password on the bios or something).