Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Hardware] guys need your help

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
freefixkorma

[Hardware] guys need your help

#1 Post by freefixkorma »

Hello everyone, i have a question, am planning to buy a laptop, for daily trading, and going to plug 4 monitors,on it. by my understanding a gaming laptop will ideal, cause memory and speed,internet speed, will be priority. But my concern, is that, am i going to have all the drivers ? , for Debian 12 install, that can run high end processor and video card,at 100-90%. Please excuse my ignorance, when asking , what will be the brand, that is more Debian friendly, for drivers, i always run on Debian, i will appreciate, any advice,thanks in advance for any advice ,best regards freefix

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [Hardware] guys need your help

#2 Post by cds60601 »

If you want reasonable (?) assurance that drivers will either work ar at least be available, and you want more of an out-of-the-box experience (if it were me) I would opt for either Mint Linux or vanilla Ubuntu (YMMV)
However, I have spend a good number of years in the financial market - I have never seen anyone install any Linux over Windows. Simply because the software most traders install (not web based) prefer to run in Windows.

If all your trading applications reside in a browser, then I think you are OK. Your issues may come down to do you really need an intense video card to work under Linux for browser based apps. I suspect not.
Let the apps determine what you need - meaning, if you need to install actual applications that do require the intense video, in my mind, you are better off in a Windows environment for financial trading.
This goes for any historical data processing and plotting you might need to do.

Lets also consider how hot the device will run. It is true, you can tweak any Linux to your liking for cooling down your system. This might take you a significant amount of time (and knowledge) to find the settings you are comfortable with that will work efficiently.
Here, Windows will manage that for you with no effort on your part. I am by no means a Windows fan. I don't detest it, I prefer to stay as far away from it as possible.
But you also need to be smart enough to know what the factors are where Windows wins and how it applies to your situation.

So - if you really want to do Linux, do so. But keep your trading processes to Windows (or at least minimize what you want to do, such as only one screen, etc).
Keep in mind, this is only my opinion and how I would work through it. YMMV along with expertise in both areas.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

pbear

Re: [Hardware] guys need your help

#3 Post by pbear »

Another option to consider. Debian runs well in a virtual machine. So you can use Windows for trading, then a VM with Debian for your personal stuff. And because it's virtualized hardware, you almost always can count on a Linux VM working, even if the same distro-kernel wouldn't be able to run on the host directly. As a bonus, you can have host and guest running at the same time.