Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GPU's on KDE worse than on GNOME?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
luseho

GPU's on KDE worse than on GNOME?

#1 Post by luseho »

Hi all,
I recently started using debian, and it has been fun. I installed gnome to start with, but now I want to use KDE.

Now i have a laptop using a 4050, with the NVIDIA drivers installed and working.
The problem lies with the performance of games. Now that I installed KDE, just like how I did it on GNOME (just following the wiki), it seems that the performance is not the same at all.

I looked at the GPU utilization, and on GNOME it could reach 100% with over 650 fps in minecraft. Meanwhile on kde-plasma-desktop, The GPU utilization keeps being stuck at around 40% with around 110 fps.
The weird part is, is that when i lower the load the gpu util keeps rising (in this case i lowered the render distance). But when the gpu DOES hit 100% utilization, the input latency gets to around 2 seconds which is insane.
Yes, I turned off vsync and the fps limit for minecraft in both GNOME and KDE. And, both are installed on a fresh install of debian 12 with only the NVIDIA drivers, minecraft and steam installed.

I Also, i tested this when i installed kde-standard instead of kde-plasma-desktop, but the performance was just as bad.

Does anybody know why it is like this and how i can fix this? is KDE just less good for gaming (i would have no idea why because it is litterally still on debian 12)? Or should i just stick with GNOME (the lazy option)?

Update on the third of may: I now see that if i installed the nvidia driver on GNOME, there is an extra tab in nvidia server settings: it is called PowerMizer. I think it has something to do with it.
Another edit: It appears that if I use plasma X11 instead of wayland, that the missing options appears in nvidia settings. Unfortunatly, the problem of the gpu is still not fixed