Scheduled Maintenance: Scheduled Forum update, upgrade, maintenance planned: 1800 UTC - May 28. viewtopic.php?t=159297

XFCE File and Folder order

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
xendistar

XFCE File and Folder order

#1 Post by xendistar »

If I look at file and folders in Thunar I find the folder first in alphabetical order and the folders in alphabetical orders, but I am in a program and say I want to load a image when I go to the window to select image the ordering of the files and folder is all over the place, there does not seem to be any logical order.

Now there is a setting program that you can install that returns all file and folder windows to the normal folder and files all in alphabetical order, does anybody know the setting program I am talking about

Tim

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: XFCE File and Folder order

#2 Post by CwF »

xendistar wrote: 2024-05-17 19:05Thunar
...some day we will be rid of the gtk file-chooser and use the DE's native fm!

I'm sure there is a cli way to set some of these settings, but a gui is also possible.
https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/dconf-editor

search for file-chooser or go to /org/gtk/settings/file-chooser/

there are all it's settings.

xendistar

#3 Post by xendistar »

Thanks for the reminder CwF, but for some reason it is not working, I have set it to "Sort directories first" and enabled it but when I open a window to add a file the file\folder order is all over the place. If I open Thunar for instances folders and file are displayed in alphabetical order.

Any thoughts?

Tim

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

xendistar wrote: 2024-05-19 09:03 Any thoughts?
It is being thought about!
https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/-/issues/159

For the most part I ignore it preferring to be fm based with context actions on any file type. I almost never use any 'open' dialog and usually click though save dialogs without noticing, and a 'save as' is often Ctrl-v-Enter...