DMA error after swapping network card

Need help with peripherals or devices?
MatiasLGonzalez

DMA error after swapping network card

#1 Post by MatiasLGonzalez »

Hello everyone, I recently changed the network card in my HP Proliant DL380p, previously it had a 4 port nic, but now it has a 2 port nic, what believe is happening is that some configuration is still trying to access a port in the old nic that is no longer present, here's the lspci -k output:

Code: Select all

root@hpserver:~# lspci -k | grep 03:00
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Solarflare Communications SFC9020 10G Ethernet Controller
03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Solarflare Communications SFC9020 10G Ethernet Controller
And here's the DMA error in the kernel log:

[ 1669.872549] DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 502
[ 1669.872562] DMAR: [DMA Write NO_PASID] Request device [03:00.2] fault addr 0xbdf7f000 [fault reason 0x02] Present bit in context entry is clear
There's no longer a device at 03:00.2, how can I tell the DMA that?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DMA error after swapping network card

#2 Post by Aki »

MatiasLGonzalez wrote: 2024-08-24 16:04 I recently changed the network card in my HP Proliant DL380p, previously it had a 4 port nic, but now it has a 2 port nic, what believe is happening is that some configuration is still trying to access a port in the old nic that is no longer present,
What do you mean with "had a 4 port nic, but now it has a 2 port nic" ?

Did you remove one of two PCI cards from the computer ?

Did you replace a 4 port NIC with a 2 ports NIC ?

What is the output of:

lspci -vnn -d ::0200
Perhaps it must be addressed at BIOS / ACPI level.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DMA error after swapping network card

#3 Post by CwF »

MatiasLGonzalez wrote: 2024-08-24 16:04 some configuration is still trying to access a port in the old nic
Yes. There is no default Debian config that is the cause, only a user config. So comb through all user configs for any network related software, including any vm xml declarations that may be remnants. There is some software configured to actually use the port.

Users don't 'tell' the hardware something has been removed. The system is smarter than that. Most all hardware configurations that reference non-existent hardware are simply ignored.

Since it is a HP Proliant, if this quad port was oem integrated it could be the port for IPMI access. If so, those settings would be in the bios. Either disable or reassign.
Mottainai