[Hardware] System stutter on all Debian distros, at a loss as to what the cause and solution is!

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
kidblu91

[Hardware] System stutter on all Debian distros, at a loss as to what the cause and solution is!

#1 Post by kidblu91 »

Hi,
I have enjoyed using Debian across my devices, but on my main pc I have encounter system stutters that affects mostly the audio, but also mouse movement and gaming refresh rates. The issue becomes a lot worse when using EasyEffects and Pipewire, but it is present still on PulseAudio and without using any other audio effects or eq. It happens on Debian, Mint, Ubuntu variants. It is most frequent on Debian no matter the desktop environment. The stutters are not consistent in their frequency and don't appear to coincide with any cpu or gpu spikes as far as I can see. There are no such stutters on Windows 10 or 11 on the same hardware. I have tried all sorts of alternations to Pipewire settings as per the Pipewire page on the Debian wiki, changing GPU from Nvidia to AMD, switching to different ram sticks, using noveau and proprietary drivers, dropping from two monitors to one, changing sound outputs from audio interface to motherboard audio and usb dac, tweaks to bios including the ftpm fixes, and upgrading and downgrading the kernel. The one thing that improved the situation slightly was using the noveau drivers, but the stutters did not clear away completely, and were still frequent with EasyEffects running, and unfortunately software I use does require the proprietary drivers to display properly, as well as this pc being my main gaming pc. If anyone has any further suggestions I am all ears!

My hardware is as follows:
Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia rtx 2060 (also tried amd rx vega 56)
Asus tuf 470x motherboard
16gb ram
Samsung 870 ssd 512gb
450watt corsair psu

Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Hardware] System stutter on all Debian distros, at a loss as to what the cause and solution is!

#2 Post by sunrat »

Install inxi and show us

Code: Select all

inxi -ACSxxz
Also check for any error messages in journalctl. Run after you experience the problem:

Code: Select all

journalctl -b -p 3
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!