Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why do you use debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
PsychoHermit

Re: Why do you use debian?

#521 Post by PsychoHermit »

I used Ubuntu for about a year and got tired of snap packages. I tried Debian on a whim, and the installation was flawless, I used the net install. Everything on my laptop just works including the touch screen, even though touching the screen is just wrong imho. I didn't have any hardware issues at all. Debian is rock solid and that works for me. Plus it's free as in free software. I couldn't be happier with Debian.

--glenn

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#522 Post by BBQdave »

Looking back on my thoughts of Debian 6 and reasons for using... Stability.

And I would say the same is true today. Debian 11 is a solid GNU/Linux distro that allows you to shape the system to your needs :)
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#523 Post by Fossy »

After many trials and tribulations ... what else ?

ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

@ttila

#524 Post by @ttila »

Fully stable, i'm talking about testing and the stable version will be a rock. A decent time to wait for update sw, in meanwhile i can use binaries from devs. What else? it is perfect!!! 8) :mrgreen:

denkin

#525 Post by denkin »

Years of using Ubuntu (since 2009) and then snap! It got me.
When Firefox was changed to snap and it started to run within 30 seconds, I realized that something had to be changed.
Wiped Ubuntu from hard drive, installed Debian.

9billy99

#526 Post by 9billy99 »

Hello, my first post

I'm old school and remember when Linux was first developed from Unix in 90s..but I culted out on Windows/PC like everyone else.

I got curious about Linux years later during PC building phase (never a great programmer) in 99/2000's I remember hearing about Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix, "Debian" Deb+ Ian, and how Ubuntu came from Debian. Good times playing with live CDs back then.

So now in 2023, had an old laptop that continually crashes with Win 7. I tried Ubuntu but file was too big for my old DVD----- let me go back to good ol' Debian!

Sentimental I guess, go with the tried and true.

So now running two OS on the laptop, install was pretty good, had a few problems with firmware but now up and running, can't wait to dig in! I need a beginner's guide and will buy a tshirt if any available. thanks,

scottfish

#527 Post by scottfish »

As of this very moment, I DO NOT use Debian. I'm coming back though :).

I've been a serial distro hopper and machine flipper since I first used Linux in 2004.

Much like stated here by others that if I liked Ubuntu, why not go to the source? So Debian has always been one of my go to distros.

This week, I picked up a new laptop and figured an install of the latest beta of Ubuntu made sense. As is often the case, a sticky package that won't update got me frustrated enough to consider a fresh Debian install this weekend.

It's time.

Chaussettes

#528 Post by Chaussettes »

Everytime I cave and try to distrohop to something else I always end up coming back to deb stable sometimes not even a week after leaving. I'm pretty good about not distrohopping anymore and have pretty much settled on deb stable as a desktop system. Having to worry about updating everyday like you have to with a rolling release is just too much of a hassle and then you have to worry about an update just breaking the package you're trying to use (which seems to happen often, in my experience with rolling releases.)

I can install stable and not update for a year at a time and still expect the system to work. I'm not here to babysit the package manager and deb stable does a good job of letting it get out of your way.
Creating art on deviantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/chaussettes99

christhorpe

#529 Post by christhorpe »

After distro hopping between Ubuntu, LM, OpenSUSE, Arch, and an attempted LFS system (I come in with high expectations and hopes, only for them to come crashing down when I realize I have no idea what the **** I'm doing), I came to Debian looking for a simple console-only install so I could install whatever desktop environment/desktop manager I wanted, and so far it's been great. (I'm using KDE plasma and Cinnamon as of now) I've always been a big fan of customization and being able to make something that's truly mine, and it was really easy for me to do that with Debian.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#530 Post by wizard10000 »

I prefer dpkg-based distributions and Debian is at the top of the food chain. It doesn't make sense to me to run a derivative distribution when I can run the parent (or grandparent) distribution.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#531 Post by BBQdave »

wizard10000 wrote: 2023-05-02 14:56 I prefer dpkg-based distributions and Debian is at the top of the food chain. It doesn't make sense to me to run a derivative distribution when I can run the parent (or grandparent) distribution.
+1 :)

As a user of a workstation: it is easy to maintain, add applications, and a stable - pleasant experience :)
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

pizza-rat

#532 Post by pizza-rat »

Massive repos full of cool old stuff, a big team with a strong reputation, breakage being exceedingly rare.

I started with Manjaro, then it broke, so I tried Arch. Arch broke, so I tried Debian. Debian felt kind of "off" to me at the time for some reason, I think some packages I use often were behind enough to be missing features I used, and it bugged me so I went back to Arch. Then I wanted to try Gentoo, which I did, and it was painful, but I still think portage and USEflags are some of the greatest things in a distro. Unfortunately the tiny amount of binary packages combined with looooong compile times on some packages where I wouldn't even have the benefit I would be compiling for (ie. dependencies where the useflags really don't matter to me at all) put me off. Also how often I'd run into a packages in the official repos that would be lacking a maintainer, it seems like Gentoo is a bit understaffed at the moment. Went back to Arch again, got bugged by more breakage.

So all of the above tired me out and taught me to appreciate what Debian does well. The only complaint I have is systemd, which still occasionally gives me bizarrely long shutdown times, an issue I never had on Gentoo's OpenRC.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#533 Post by None1975 »

Stable Debian 11+flatpaks=it is what you need!
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

pizza-rat

#534 Post by pizza-rat »

None1975 wrote: 2023-05-19 11:26 Stable Debian 11+flatpaks=it is what you need!
Flatpaks are very handy when they're sane. I've run into a few lately that have access to the user's home and ignore overrides to remove that access :cry:

But yes, I figured at that point it was more worthwhile long term to learn how to work around old package versions (whether by flatpak, compiling or backporting from testing) than to deal with the BLEEDING EDGE

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#535 Post by None1975 »

pizza-rat wrote: 2023-05-19 20:29 I've run into a few lately that have access to the user's home and ignore overrides to remove that access :cry:
Hello. If it's not a secret, what kind of programs are these?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Space Invader

#536 Post by Space Invader »

Because Debian 0.90 was much better than Yggdrasil and SLS: haven't felt the need to look elsewhere ever since :P

pizza-rat

#537 Post by pizza-rat »

None1975 wrote: 2023-05-20 10:53 Hello. If it's not a secret, what kind of programs are these?
Stuff that shouldn't need that access: Lutris and Citra, are the two I remember. A program for managing wine/dxvk/etc versions and prefixes, and a 3DS emulator. I'd say "maybe it was just a bug with Debian's old flatpak version" but the Citra one I noticed on Arch when I was using it last month, too.

I'm guessing they have that home access because it's convenient for the average person who would be using either program to not have to put all their game files under ~/.var/app/blah.blah.blah but I found it weird that overrides --nofilesystem=host and --nofilesystem=home had no effect, despite showing up as being applied in flatpak info --show-permissions. As soon as I opened a file dialogue in either program, they could access whatever they wanted.

MiracleDinner

#538 Post by MiracleDinner »

pizza-rat wrote: 2023-05-20 11:27
None1975 wrote: 2023-05-20 10:53 Hello. If it's not a secret, what kind of programs are these?
Stuff that shouldn't need that access: Lutris and Citra, are the two I remember. A program for managing wine/dxvk/etc versions and prefixes, and a 3DS emulator. I'd say "maybe it was just a bug with Debian's old flatpak version" but the Citra one I noticed on Arch when I was using it last month, too.

I'm guessing they have that home access because it's convenient for the average person who would be using either program to not have to put all their game files under ~/.var/app/blah.blah.blah but I found it weird that overrides --nofilesystem=host and --nofilesystem=home had no effect, despite showing up as being applied in flatpak info --show-permissions. As soon as I opened a file dialogue in either program, they could access whatever they wanted.
I use the Citra Flatpak and I saw this post and I thought to check it out myself - I use the Flatseal program and it seems that by default, Citra has (read) access to all system files but by deleting "host:ro" I was able to prevent it from accessing where my .3ds files are usually stored (which was /home/miracledinner/Documents/MyGamesFolder).

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#539 Post by Fossy »

None1975 wrote: 2023-05-19 11:26 Stable Debian 11+flatpaks=it is what you need!
The topic is about " Why do you use debian? "
I cannot see the association :?
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

Diesel330

#540 Post by Diesel330 »

I use Debian because it's cool