Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why do you use debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
sdibaja

Re: Why do you use debian?

#541 Post by sdibaja »

"I use Debian" because it's the best way to get a clean and fully functional Mate Desktop. (I suggest you add the Mate Extras metapackage)

Bonus:
1. Debian is rock solid stable
2. Debian Installer is the best

pizza-rat

#542 Post by pizza-rat »

MiracleDinner wrote: 2023-05-20 16:46
pizza-rat wrote: 2023-05-20 11:27
None1975 wrote: 2023-05-20 10:53 Hello. If it's not a secret, what kind of programs are these?
Stuff that shouldn't need that access: Lutris and Citra, are the two I remember. A program for managing wine/dxvk/etc versions and prefixes, and a 3DS emulator. I'd say "maybe it was just a bug with Debian's old flatpak version" but the Citra one I noticed on Arch when I was using it last month, too.

I'm guessing they have that home access because it's convenient for the average person who would be using either program to not have to put all their game files under ~/.var/app/blah.blah.blah but I found it weird that overrides --nofilesystem=host and --nofilesystem=home had no effect, despite showing up as being applied in flatpak info --show-permissions. As soon as I opened a file dialogue in either program, they could access whatever they wanted.
I use the Citra Flatpak and I saw this post and I thought to check it out myself - I use the Flatseal program and it seems that by default, Citra has (read) access to all system files but by deleting "host:ro" I was able to prevent it from accessing where my .3ds files are usually stored (which was /home/miracledinner/Documents/MyGamesFolder).
Odd, maybe it was just a bug I ran into at the time or something.

Random_Troll

#543 Post by Random_Troll »

Given that all operating systems suck, I use Debian because it is the least-worst option. Stable plus backports offers a combination of reliable, unchanging base system with individual applications running newer versions as needed. The politics are also appreciated. Not many operating systems have principles, let alone ones I actually agree with.
Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen.

el_koraco

#544 Post by el_koraco »

why would you use anything else?

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#545 Post by Fossy »

Compare it to climbing the giant desktop operating systems mountain where I first took the Linux Mint, then the LMDE route and thanks to the late Buster reached the Debian peak without hassle .
I'm right there , have no desire to ever return to the Windows valley.
Disclaimer :
Don't be fooled by my signature ; is incomplete ( we still have two desktops here running under the non upgradable Windows 10 version and three iPhones in service ) .
Debian fanatics which I certainly am need not necessarily be solitary eccentric xenophobic cavemen .
However, when it comes to ease of installation ( since Buster ) and maintenance , stability and security considerations you are quietly in the Debian block hut .
Watch out for the sinkholes though : https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian .

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

el_koraco

#546 Post by el_koraco »

Fossy wrote: 2023-05-21 01:16 Debian fanatics which I certainly am need not necessarily be solitary eccentric xenophobic cavemen .
Where does one get the inclination to unprovokedly write (even think!) something so childishly mean?

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#547 Post by Fossy »

el_koraco wrote: 2023-05-22 07:01
Fossy wrote: 2023-05-21 01:16 Debian fanatics which I certainly am need not necessarily be solitary eccentric xenophobic cavemen .
Where does one get the inclination to unprovokedly write (even think!) something so childishly mean?
Naive ?
After almost 30 years of Debian being available I note that today only 2.83% have Linux based operating systems in use :
https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-sh ... /worldwide

I assume this group includes all available Linux operating systems , and apparently there are quite a few ! :
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... meline.svg

I also assume that in this group of 2.83% Linux Mint & Ubuntu make up the lion's share ?

What do you think this would be due to ?

sdibaja

#548 Post by sdibaja »

This is a sad and lonely person. It's best to just ignore

Diesel330

#549 Post by Diesel330 »

I Expect an increase in Debian's market share with the release of bookworm and the inclusion of non free firmware in the official installer. A big misunderstanding and confusion for the new users finally is coming to an end

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#550 Post by Fossy »

Diesel330 wrote: 2023-05-22 16:54 I Expect an increase in Debian's market share with the release of bookworm and the inclusion of non free firmware in the official installer. A big misunderstanding and confusion for the new users finally is coming to an end
New Linux c.q. Debian users who have sworn off Windows in favor of a Linux-based operating system for daily use have generally gone through an idiosyncratic journey .
I belong to / come out for the ? % of the 2.83 % who have made this decision , and who have little or no IT / ICT training at all .

Buster and not Bookworm was the milestone that marked the era of installation friendliness of Debian ... or should I say the decision of Debian to make non-free firmware available to the general public ( the approved Non-free firmware General Resolution of late last year ) ?

The new upcoming state of play :
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/
You no longer have to search blue to find the related ISOs but … they are still labeled as Unofficial .
These Iso's were nota bene already available at the time of Buster !

And whether this is going to cause a landslide in the desktop operating world ? .... I don't think I will live to see it but will continue to follow it from under the turf.

el_koraco

#551 Post by el_koraco »

sdibaja wrote: 2023-05-22 12:55
This is a sad and lonely person. It's best to just ignore
You are 100 percent right, I really just wanted to point it out for normal people.

yesh

#552 Post by yesh »

After using Debian "based" systems (Ubuntu then Linux Mint) for over 15 years, then having a major issue a few years back with Linux Mint, decided to go pure Debian.

I must say, it has been the most stable and performant operating system I have ever used! I also love the Debian philosophy and how the developers and everyone gets it done. Updates will very rarely cause an issue, and if they do it's not a system breaker. It's such a pleasure to use.

The new Bookworm is the best ever - much love to all who contributed, thankyou!
Image Stable Xfce / HP Notebook 15 BS143TU / Intel® Core™ i5-8250U / 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz / 1 TB SATA / Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (1366x768 15.6")

Wolf393

#553 Post by Wolf393 »

Stable and easy to set up minimal WM , my favourite Openbox.
Also more packages then any other .

mrazster

#554 Post by mrazster »

I have tried a whole bunch of distros during my 20 years or so with linux (as a desktop user).
And Debian simply feels like 127.0.0.1, cozy, stable and reliable.
Debian...the way it was meant to be !

exploder

#555 Post by exploder »

Recently installed Debian 12 on all my systems. The amount of testing that was done really shows! The decision to make non-free software more accessible really makes a huge difference! It took no time at all to set up my systems and so far they run flawlessly. I have confidence that updates are not going to break anything like I have experienced with other distros.

It blows my mind how well Plasma and Gnome Shell run under Wayland! Other distros do not fair near as well in my experience, lots of little graphical bugs and glitches I am not finding with Debian 12. It's hard to put into words but Debian 12 feels very well put together and solid. Choosing Firefox ESR as the default browser was brilliant in my opinion. I had never tried it but I like the idea myself because regular Firefox updates way too often break things, I just want it to work!

With the current software landscape, the Debian community and developer's did an amazing job! This is VERY high quality work!

Pyntux

#556 Post by Pyntux »

I am long time KDE Arch Linux user... Now we are waiting for Plasma 6, which will be (if we learned something from history) very buggy until Plasma 6.2 version... So I am now on Debian 12 because Plasma 5.27 will stay on this PC until Plasma 6 is good for every day use.

It is very good expearance! There are stuff which just works better than on Arch, so who knows, maybe I will stay on Debian :)

lospala

#557 Post by lospala »

Because Debian is the parent of a lot of distributions and runs faster and reliable
Disorder consists of arranging certain elements so that they do not suggest known geometric shapes to the observer.

richfi

#558 Post by richfi »

1. Stability.
2. There is no 2.

I've been a Debian purist until relatively recently when I've started running Fedora alongside it. The only reason for this is that the compiler shipped with Fedora is newer and supports more recent parts of the C++ standard than the version shipped with Debian. Yes, I know I can run containers with other toolchains but my preference is to use the tools shipped with the OS. It's my *only* issue with Debian. Other than that, I run both systems exactly the same: KDE, oh except for the file system: ext4 on Debian, btrfs on Fedora. My plan was to have a common home partition but Fedora doesn't like that because of SELinux (maybe if I'd installed Fedora first...)

ActiveColours

#559 Post by ActiveColours »

I've start using linux with Ubundu 6.06 and Gnome that I've changed it in the process into Mate. In other words I've got into the linux world via a debian based distribution and after trying many different distributions ( who doesn't after all) and setups I realized that my favorite setup is any Debian based distro or Debian it self with Mate. The rest don't need any further explanation. That is what I know and what I trust. It is versatile, it works, I know how to use it and I like it.

lewulff
LinkedIN: www.linkedin.com/in/

#560 Post by lewulff »

I started on Mandrake Linux, when it was still called Mandrake. My brother in-law suggested Fedora Core. My initial experiences with Fedora Core caused a bit of enmity with the entire distribution that lingers to this very day (yes it is silly, but Fedora has always failed to impress). After Fedora Core bombed on me, I switched to Debian Woody, and have been using it all the way up to Jessie. After Jessie I used Debian on my servers. However my desktop has been running Arch since then.

Compared to Windows 11, Arch is pretty stable. However it is no where near stable enough to use on remote servers, and I prefer the rock hard stability of Debian for them.