Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How To Share folders with NFS

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
Polaris96

Re: How To Share folders with NFS

#21 Post by Polaris96 »

My very favourite thing of all about debian is that "end of project" exhalation, when you're hind-brain actually clicks and goes,
"wow. that's it. I mean for real ... unless I cahnge something major, this is just gonna work .. forever"

It's bloody gratifying and I wish life worked as cleanly lol.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.

ComputerBob

#22 Post by ComputerBob »

Polaris96 wrote:My very favourite thing of all about debian is that "end of project" exhalation, when you're hind-brain actually clicks and goes,
"wow. that's it. I mean for real ... unless I cahnge something major, this is just gonna work .. forever"

It's bloody gratifying and I wish life worked as cleanly lol.
That's exactly how I'm feeling. :D
ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 23 Million Views
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

nikobit

#23 Post by nikobit »

Thanks for descriptive topic. Few questions remain though. How to make mounted NFS visible in GNOME-Nautilus File Manager?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.0-19-amd64
  • Shell: bash
  • DE: GNOME 3.38.4
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 8x 4GHz
  • GPU: NVE4
  • RAM: 2384MiB / 15925MiB

thewanderer

#24 Post by thewanderer »

@nikobit: It already is visible under the normal path, so if you browse to /your/mountpoint you will see the filesystem that is mounted there, as with all other mounts.
How to make it appear automagically, I am not sure. I am a KDE user and my only solution so far has been to add the directory as a "global bookmark" to all file selector dialogs and widgets, so that it is just a custom location showing up below Home and Root.
Under GNOME you could probably look for such option. It will only possibly have a per-user effect, though I am sure it is possible to alter the global settings, too.

I think KDE3.5 used to display all mounted filesystems somewhere. Where to find them in GNOME or KDE4 now, I will probably never know. So just use these directories as if they were normal, local directories - that's what the UNIX filesystem abstraction is for.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/debian]Find me on #debian at irc.freenode.net[/url] | Linux permission HOWTO | Shorewall firewall | Virtual web hosting

nikobit

#25 Post by nikobit »

Thanks for fast reply. I used to simplify connection process by Opera Unite service to bring everything to GUI. Much easier than shell for a novice.
  • Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.10.0-19-amd64
  • Shell: bash
  • DE: GNOME 3.38.4
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 8x 4GHz
  • GPU: NVE4
  • RAM: 2384MiB / 15925MiB

Polaris96

#26 Post by Polaris96 »

Glad somebody could help irt the GNOME issue. I'll confess to all I don't have good knowledge with GUI apps. I grew up in CLI and figure a terminal window will work out most any problem and you can get one from any GUI.

I've had experience using KDE, XFCE, LXDE, and E17. None of these ever had issues seeing the NFS shares.
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also, never forget our family at debianuserforums.org If we can't solve your problem, they probably can.

BillD73

#27 Post by BillD73 »

quick question about the /etc/host and /etc/hosts.allow

since my local network has multiple systems and multiple users, a few such as RPi's just take whatever IP DHCP from the router throws them, is there a way to specify the local network as 192.168.0/24 and wildcard the hostname?

the same with mountd in hosts.allow?

Thank you for the write up!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by Hallvor »

Assign static IPs to these devices?
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD