Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SoundBlaster Live 24bit not working with Debian Live

Need help with peripherals or devices?
thekellogsfan

SoundBlaster Live 24bit not working with Debian Live

#1 Post by thekellogsfan »

I cannot get debian to play music from the speakers. The visuals move, but no sound comes out.

Can anyone help? Thanks for your help.

tinker

#2 Post by tinker »

To be blunt, no, no one can help, given the information you provide.

What version of Debian? What kernel? What visuals are you talking about? What application are you using to try and play them?

I don't mean this to be unkind, it's just that no one but you can see your machine, nor do we have any idea of the important information.

thekellogsfan

#3 Post by thekellogsfan »

Sorry about the complete lack of information that I've given. it's just that it was late at night and I didn't want to bother anybody sleeping with my keyboard nattering away.

My Debian is a Live CD, I'm trying it out to see which Linux to use on my system. I got it here (http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/), and I have no idea of the version of Debian is, or the kernel - I'm pretty new, although I know a few commands (when I mean few, I mean apt-get :lol:)

I remember trying to play an mp3 with I think the program was called Totem Movie Player. The visualisations was playing up (like it would if it was Windows and Movie Player in comparison) but no sound came on. I right clicked the volume icon at the top right and put all the sound up. I used AlsaMixer for the sound, but no sound came out.

Is there some drivers I have to install to get my soundcard to work?

kellogsfan

p.s. How do you find out the Kernel version and Debian version? Right now I'm using windows, so I can't remember much, but will try to correct it :)

thekellogsfan

#4 Post by thekellogsfan »

My kernel version is 2.6 (used kernelversion in terminal)
As for version of Debian, I still have no clue, but I know that GNOME is version 2.14.3 if that has any significance to this at all....?

thekellogsfan

#5 Post by thekellogsfan »

Don worry, it works now!

But thanks for offering help. it turned out I had IEC958 on, which doesn´t work well.

thekellogsfan :D:D:D:D:D:D