Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Only Libre Open Files on Network

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
None

Only Libre Open Files on Network

#1 Post by None »

Hello everyone,

I'm not able to open files in my smb shares using any Office suite other than LibreOffice.
For example, after installing OnlyOffice, if I access a smb:// and try to open any file (.doc, .xslx, etc), the app starts on the initial screen, and don't load the file.
Same thing happens with WPS Office, but not with Libre. Libreoffice load them normally.

Can someone give me a hand on this issue?

Using Debian 11 w XFCE, packages updated. Also tried MATE, but same thing...
Idk if this is relevant or not, but I needed to install gvfs-backends in order to browse network (viewtopic.php?t=126176).

Thks

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Only Libre Open Files on Network

#2 Post by cds60601 »

How did you install OnlyOffice?
Also, you do realize that installing OnlyOffice via an unsupported repo (download.onlyoffice.com/repo/debian squeeze main) while quite feasible to do, could indeed break your Debian install and is not recommended.
You may be better off asking this question within the OnlyOffice forums or the online Help Center they provide.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by canci »

If OnlyOffice is installed via Flatpak, it might be that it doesn't have permission to access network storage. But I'm sadly also not sure how you'd fix that.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

None

#4 Post by None »

@cds60601, installed by using the unsupported repo, and as well downloading the .deb directly from their website.
I undestand that non supported packages may not work, but I really need other office suite with better compatibility with MS Office files... LibreOffice does a good job, but in my experiênce, WPS or OnlyOffice worked better.
@canci I thought about installing via Flatpak, but as you said, I may face other problems..

So, an user on Reddit suggested gvfs-fuse to be installed, and it worked, kinda. Onlyoffice now load the files, but it takes at least 20 seconds to open a simple .xls.
Decided to try other DE to see what happens, and turns out that in Cinnamon or Gnome there's no issue. Since I made fresh installs on VM's, tried to install XFCE after Cinnamon (withouth any other pkg), and it also worked (with the 20s delays tho).

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by cds60601 »

None wrote: 2021-12-11 19:56 @cds60601, installed by using the unsupported repo, and as well downloading the .deb directly from their website.
I undestand that non supported packages may not work, but I really need other office suite with better compatibility with MS Office files... LibreOffice does a good job, but in my experiênce, WPS or OnlyOffice worked better.
@canci I thought about installing via Flatpak, but as you said, I may face other problems..

So, an user on Reddit suggested gvfs-fuse to be installed, and it worked, kinda. Onlyoffice now load the files, but it takes at least 20 seconds to open a simple .xls.
Decided to try other DE to see what happens, and turns out that in Cinnamon or Gnome there's no issue. Since I made fresh installs on VM's, tried to install XFCE after Cinnamon (withouth any other pkg), and it also worked (with the 20s delays tho).
I would be interested in knowing what login manager you are using with XFCE and if you are loading up gnome-keyring and or gnome polkit with XFCE. As you already know, the 2 mentioned would be included in Gnome and Cinnamon (assumed with Cinnamon).
There could be a correlation there.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

None

#6 Post by None »

cds60601 wrote: 2021-12-11 20:05 I would be interested in knowing what login manager you are using with XFCE and if you are loading up gnome-keyring and or gnome polkit with XFCE. As you already know, the 2 mentioned would be included in Gnome and Cinnamon (assumed with Cinnamon).
There could be a correlation there.
It was using lightdm, and apparently with gnome-keyring loading, the files took a lot of time to load. Without it they just won't open with the apps (only Libre).

None

#7 Post by None »

Tried on Xubuntu, and with out withouth gnome services, the files loaded with the same delay.... Strange.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

take a look

Code: Select all

apt policy gigolo fuse3 gvfs-backends