Scheduled Maintenance: Over the course of a few days we will be addressing issues with the search backend. General search, newposts, yourposts, and other search driven queries may fail during the update. Details and discussion here: viewtopic.php?t=159736

Firefox-ESR 91.4 change color of Bookmarks folders

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ticojohn

Firefox-ESR 91.4 change color of Bookmarks folders

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I recently updated to Firefox-ESR 91.4 on Debian stable. So far all looks good with one exception. The folders that are in the Bookmarks menu are rather plain. I have been searching for a way to change the color of the folders but the only thing I have found changes only the outline color of the folders. The example I found, located in my userChrome.css file, is as follows

Code: Select all

.bookmark-item[container] {fill: blue !important;}
That works very well for changing all of the folders, in Bookmarks, to have a blue outline. Does anyone have a solution to filling the entire folder with blue, or any other color?
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

bw123

Re: Firefox-ESR 91.4 change color of Bookmarks folders

#2 Post by bw123 »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-12-20 21:47 I recently updated to Firefox-ESR 91.4 on Debian stable. So far all looks good with one exception. The folders that are in the Bookmarks menu are rather plain. I have been searching for a way to change the color of the folders but the only thing I have found changes only the outline color of the folders. The example I found, located in my userChrome.css file, is as follows

.bookmark-item[container] {fill: blue !important;}
That works very well for changing all of the folders, in Bookmarks, to have a blue outline. Does anyone have a solution to filling the entire folder with blue, or any other color?
I notice some info here in release notes about changes introduced in 89 that we missed I guess?
The CSS forced-colors media query is now supported.
https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Web/ ... ced-colors

More info here about changes...
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/9 ... easenotes/

I'm interested in any other changes you notice. Are all your extensions and plugins working correctly? I usually wait a few days when they dump something on us like this out of the blue. I'd really appreciate you taking time to leave some tips for me.

Since it is a security related upgrade, have you considered testing it with something like this?
https://browserleaks.com/
https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/
resigned by AI ChatGPT

ticojohn

#3 Post by ticojohn »

bw123 wrote: 2021-12-20 23:34 I'm interested in any other changes you notice. Are all your extensions and plugins working correctly? I usually wait a few days when they dump something on us like this out of the blue. I'd really appreciate you taking time to leave some tips for me.

Since it is a security related upgrade, have you considered testing it with something like this?
https://browserleaks.com/
https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/
I haven't noticed any other changes, but I haven't really been looking for any. I wouldn't say that this dropped on us out of the blue. We've known it was coming for quite some time.

No, I haven't done any security testing. I trust that the developers do a significant amount of security testing. And since I don't know anything about the links you provided I am hesitant to just jump in and use them. I find that the best security is to avoid sites in which you are not confident.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

I just spent a few minutes (too many) searching for how to do this without success. I like making the outlines coloured though, changed mine to a pretty lime. 8)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

sunrat wrote: 2021-12-21 04:54 I just spent a few minutes (too many) searching for how to do this without success. I like making the outlines coloured though, changed mine to a pretty lime. 8)
Hey there @sunrat. Unfortunately I spent a lot more than a few minutes looking for a solution, with no success. :roll: It may be that the only way to do what I want to do would be to find the icon that is used by Firefox and modify it using GIMP, or some other tool. I have not been able to find said icon. Maybe it is embedded in the Firefox binary. In any case, glad you were able to change the folder image to your liking. But GREEN, really? :mrgreen:

ticojohn

#6 Post by ticojohn »

sunrat wrote: 2021-12-21 04:54 I just spent a few minutes (too many) searching for how to do this without success. I like making the outlines coloured though, changed mine to a pretty lime. 8)
By the way, if you have multiple folders in your Bookmarks Menu, you can change each of those to a different color. The example I previously gave will change all of the folders to the same color. However, you can change them independently by the following

.bookmark-item[container][label*="Flyers"] { fill: #e74c3c !important; }
Of course "Flyers" would be replaced by whatever the label is for each of the folders (be sure to use the quotes), and you can use whatever color you wish. For example, I have a folder labeled "Linux Help", so to change its color I might use the following

.bookmark-item[container][label*="Linux Help"] { fill: red !important; }
Pretty cool although I'd still like to change the color of the entire folder. :x

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

ticojohn wrote: 2021-12-21 13:06
Hey there @sunrat. Unfortunately I spent a lot more than a few minutes looking for a solution, with no success. :roll: It may be that the only way to do what I want to do would be to find the icon that is used by Firefox and modify it using GIMP, or some other tool. I have not been able to find said icon. Maybe it is embedded in the Firefox binary. In any case, glad you were able to change the folder image to your liking. But GREEN, really? :mrgreen:
I could say to you, but BLUE really? :lol:
I suspect the icons are SVG, so easy to change the outline attribute but they would not actually have a proper fill attribute. I did see one post somewhere which showed how to replace them with PNG icons, don't recall where though.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

ticojohn

#8 Post by ticojohn »

sunrat wrote: 2021-12-21 22:47 I could say to you, but BLUE really? :lol:
Touche!